Erectile dysfunction is a common male sexual disorder. According to the statistics, almost every man at least once experienced the signs of erectile dysfunction. As a result, he could not perform a full sexual intercourse. But you should know that erectile dysfunction is only diagnosed when a strong erection can not be achieved in 25% of sexual acts.
Erectile dysfunction becomes a serious challenge for men, because this is not only a physiological, but also a psychological problem.
Signs of erectile dysfunction
Signs of erectile dysfunction can be divided into several types: reduced libido (sex drive), erectile dysfunction, absence of ejaculation or orgasm (anorgasmia).
The most common sign associated with stress, fatigue or poor health is poor libido – the reluctance of physical intimacy. This can be the result of bad relationships, depression and hormonal disorders (decreased testosterone production).
Lethargy, poor erection may indicate vascular diseases, and absence of ejaculation is associated with psychological problems. The least common symptom in men is anorgasmia – absence of orgasm. This symptom is associated with psychological disorders.
Types of erectile dysfunction
There are several types of erectile dysfunction, and they depend on the causes: psychological (psychogenic), organic and mixed. About 20% of the causes have a psychological nature, but in 80% of cases men have sexual disorders due to serious diseases (autoimmune diseases, hypertension, diabetes mellitus).
Each type of erectile dysfunction has its own features. For example, psychological erectile dysfunction usually occurs suddenly. It is associated with stress, physical loads or bad relationships between sexual partners. In this case, a man still has the morning erection.
Organic problems usually occur gradually, and it becomes more difficult to maintain a normal erection over time. This indicates some background diseases that require treatment. Also, organic problems can develop due to some medications that affect male potency. The man has normal libido and ejaculation, but no night erections, and during sexual intercourse the penis can suddenly lose rigidity.
If you notice erectile problems, not to think this happened due to external causes (stress, fatigue, quarrels with a partner), because sexual problems should not become the norm. To solve this problem, you should contact a specialist as soon as possible.
Causes of erectile dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction can be caused by numerous factors:
- Endocrine causes of erectile dysfunction – violated levels of a male sex hormone – testosterone. This often occurs with genetic abnormalities, injuries, infections and tumors. Male potency and erection usually recover after treatment with hormonal drugs (tablets or gels);
- Medical causes of erectile dysfunction – the use of certain drugs that reduce the production of male sex hormones. These can be drugs that depress the activity of the cerebral cortex, and any narcotic substances, including alcohol;
- Neurological causes of erectile dysfunction include a number of diseases of the peripheral nerves or the brain and spinal cord: traumas of the brain and spinal cord, autoimmune diseases, circulatory disorders in the brain, epilepsy, sclerosis, perineal and pelvic injuries and so on;
- Psychological causes of erectile dysfunction – prolonged stresses, neuroses, depression, problems with the partner and bad habits. Even ordinary fatigue can negatively affect male potency. Also, erection may be affected by the fear of failure in bed or sex with a new partner;
- A rare cause of erectile dysfunction is a definite anatomical change in the penis (Peyronie’s disease).
- Trauma of the penis is the most common cause of erectile dysfunction. It can be the result of an accident, injury (knife, gunshot), burn. With trauma of the penis, you can not do without a doctor;
- Contusions – closed penile lesions can be the result of falling from a height, a fight, or exercises. In most cases, they lead to a violation of the urethra and cause pain during movement, swelling, bruises. They can be treated with compresses, non-steroidal analgesics, or surgically;
- Subcutaneous hemorrhage leads to damage to blood vessels, formation of edema. Scars can prevent the flow of blood for an erection. The problem can be solved by cold compresses;
- Fractures (the result of a sharp bend of the organ, a heavy blow, gross sexual contact). Rupture of the cavernous bodies can cause erectile dysfunction. Symptoms – edema formation, extensive hematoma, acute pain, shock. Treatment is determined by the severity of the injury: from compresses to surgery;
- Burn. Damage caused by ultraviolet, chemicals, hot liquids. Symptoms depend on the degree of burn: from swelling to dying of the skin. Treatment is also determined by the severity of the lesion.
The foreskin is a fold of the skin, which protects the glans penis. In its absence, excessive irritation of the nerve receptors during movement (running, walking), contact with underwear is inevitable. Its systematic repetition reduces the sensitivity of the glans penis, which is necessary for an erection. Circumcision increases the risk of being infected that stimulates inflammation in the genitals. One of the complications is impotence. Therefore, erectile dysfunction after 40 often becomes a consequence of circumcision.
Treatment of erectile dysfunction
Treatment of erectile dysfunction depends on its reasons. In the case of endocrine disorders, patients are prescribed hormonal tablets or gels. For medical reasons, the doctor selects medications that do not affect male potency. Elimination of neurological causes consists in the treatment of the underlying disease that caused problems with potency. Psychological reasons require a special approach: rest, relaxation, creating a trusting atmosphere between partners or even talking with a doctor (psychologist, sex therapist). Anatomical changes in the penis, negatively affecting erection, are removed surgically.
Optimal treatment of erectile dysfunction is determined by the doctor. At the moment, there are some effective methods.
Medications for erectile dysfunction
Medications stimulate blood flow in the vessels of the penis, solving the problem of erectile dysfunction. The most popular drugs are generic Viagra, Levitra, Cialis which can be ordered online in Canadian Neighbor Pharmacy. According to clinical trials, the effectiveness of generic Viagra exceeds 85%.
Important: the instructions for use contains a long list of side effects and contraindications. A correct dose and frequency of application helps to reduce the danger. Therefore, doctor’s consultation is required.
Intracavernous drug administration
This method of treating erectile dysfunction has been used since 1975. The injection of the agent expands the vessels in the penis. The action of the drug provides a long-lasting erection. The frequency of use should not exceed once a week, the selection of dosage is individual and should be agreed with the doctor.
Important: the method has negative aspects: the danger of complications, inconvenience of use. The risk of side effects has decreased significantly in recent years, only compliance with doctor’s prescriptions is important.
Prevention of erectile dysfunction
There is a wide range of preventive measures that reduce the likelihood of erectile dysfunction:
- Balanced diet. The diet should include a sufficient number of protein sources – eggs, meat. Various sour-milk products, greens, fruits and vegetables are useful. Eat nuts, honey, refuse heavy fat foods;
- Quit dangerous habits. Addiction to drugs, alcohol and cigarettes can serve as a cause of erectile dysfunction;
- Regular sexual life. Replace masturbation with a full-fledged sexual contacts;
- Regular visits to the urologist to timely detect diseases of the reproductive system (for example, prostatitis);
- Prevention of diseases that can lead to impotence. Endocrine disorders, problems with blood vessels, the heart and so on;
- The correct way of life. This concept includes 8-hour sleep and moderate physical activity.
Prevention will not require serious restrictions, but the preventative measures will significantly reduce the risk of erectile dysfunction at any age.